Www or non-www how do you prefer

Webmaster Forums, Forum Promotion, SEO, Domain Names, Hosting & More!

AdminBrave is a community with useful content and resources. Connect with fellow webmasters. Grow your network. Stay informed. Learn and share with us!

J

Jason

Valued Member
Reaction score
I prefer to have my site with non-www and i feel it is better for me. How about you? Redirection will take care of it and many don't care about it. But do you?

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen anyone use WWW in a long time. I think it died away sometime back when webmasters were able to do the plain domain option. It additional hassle to type the WWW.

Those days, I was happy to use CTRL + Enter to get the WWW attached to the domain name. It was an easy trick that saved a lot of time.

P

phenomlab

Valued Member
Reaction score
In a sustained effort to create shorter domain names, the www. prefix was dropped by those creating websites some years ago now. There really is no need for its existence, and I haven't used this prefix for years.

J

Jason

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hmm i see non-www is the preferred one and i too like it. Good to see admintech also uses this.

P

phenomlab

Valued Member
Reaction score
> @Jason Good to see admintech also uses this

It has little choice being a subdomain 👍

A

Aces

Valued Member
Reaction score
Non-www is definitely preferred. Shorter names in general look more aesthetic anyways. If you want to figure out how to redirect www to non-www check out [This .htaccess Redirect](https://www.siteground.com/kb/how_to_redirect_www_urls_to_nonwww/)

P

phenomlab

Valued Member
Reaction score
@Aces if you're doing this with existing pages and posts, it's best handled with a 301 redirect for SEO purposes. Not to say that this won't work in the sense of the .htaccess guide posted, but best practice.

Lammchen

Lammchen

Valued Member
Reaction score
I prefer non-www. In fact, I cringe at the old commercials where people called it "dub dub dub ya". The Ws are old school and the modern world doesn't need them to continue to function since redirects handle that end. It's also better for your print work such as letterheads, business cards, etc because you can make the name larger when you lose the www.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.