Vanilla forums

Webmaster Forums, Forum Promotion, SEO, Domain Names, Hosting & More!

AdminBrave is a community with useful content and resources. Connect with fellow webmasters. Grow your network. Stay informed. Learn and share with us!

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Vanilla forums is a free open source forum software to build communities online. It has been famed for its simplicity, ease of use and discussion based layout

The most recent news from Vanilla forums is that they have an in-app theme editor

image4-4.png
![theme editor](https://blog.vanillaforums.com/hs-fs/hubfs/image4-4.png?width=1999&name=image4-4.png)

You can read more about it [here](https://blog.vanillaforums.com/new-vanilla-theming-2020)

admin

admin

Community Leader
Reaction score
It has been some time since I tried them. Let me take a look.

They were always very innovative, but was never successful like MyBB, phpBB etc

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
This theme editor reminds me heavily on WordPress.

We can't say more before trying it ourselves. I am too lazy to put it all up in XAMPP.

admin

admin

Community Leader
Reaction score
I will see if they have improved their themes / UX section. The Q&A was a big blocker to me. They have a very active promotion team. If only, like WP Foro @phenomlab mentioned, they offered different interfaces, even as a plugin, a lot of people would have joined.

Last edited:
P

phenomlab

Valued Member
Reaction score
@admin be careful with wpforo though. It's not as "integrated" with WordPress as you'd like. Our doesn't actually use WordPress on the traditional sense, and is a SPA.

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
> @phenomlab **Our** doesn't actually use WordPress on the traditional sense,

🤔

Last edited:
Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Vanilla Forums have some really big players as their customer

peanJwb.png
peanJwb.png

P

phenomlab

Valued Member
Reaction score
@Abhi our skills have been it

admin

admin

Community Leader
Reaction score
I almost thought of switching to Vanilla forums. Then I tried it on PC. Then I realised that they need some variety of themes and UI addons. Even though that is a personal preference, their default layout does not fit for normal use case.

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
**Vanilla forums sold ?**

HL-and-V-Graphic_Homepage.png
![Higher Logic acquires Vanilla](https://www.higherlogic.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/HL-and-V-Graphic_Homepage.png)

> Higher Logic Acquires Vanilla: Better Together

>HL News // We've acquired Vanilla to become the largest human-focused engagement platform.

See their [press release](https://www.higherlogic.com/about/news/higher-logic-acquires-vanilla/) for more info

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
There has been some clarification about the change in leadership at Vanilla Forums. According to **Vanilla Staff Adrian**

>I can tell you we have spoken to the team at Higher Logic and **Vanilla itself will continue to be maintained** and we have **no plans to discontinue our open source releases**. I hope my words assure you, even if slightly delayed.

Qforw47.png
Qforw47.png

admin

admin

Community Leader
Reaction score
Hmm, I didn't expect that to be honest. Their community was so dull in the last 3-4 months.

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
That is true. The parent company does not have any free offerings that I know. I do not see why they should be starting one. Someone might fork Vanilla, nothing so far on that too.

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Good news ? From +Adrian, `Vanilla Staff`

>just a quick update: "We just branched the new release, yesterday. I'll be putting it up on the OS community either today or tomorrow."

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
By Tim `Vanilla Staff` - Operations

>there are no plans to discontinue or cripple the open source offering in any way, and in fact we are making some changes that should increase the frequency of open source releases.

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
**Vanillla Forums 4.0 released**. It has been renamed **Vanilla Forums 2021.009**

> Vanilla 2021.009 requires at least PHP 7.2. Future versions of Vanilla will require PHP 7.4+.

MySQL 5.7+ is required, starting with Vanilla 2021.009.

Full-text indexes have been disabled by default. You can enable them by adding a Database.FullTextIndexing key to your config and setting it to true. Failure to do this before upgrading to Vanilla 2021.009 will result in your full-text database indexes being lost.

[Download Vanilla Forums 2021.009](https://github.com/vanilla/vanilla/releases/tag/2021.009)

Last edited:
Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
**Vanilla 2021.011 officially released**.

You can get it [from GitHub](https://github.com/vanilla/vanilla/releases/tag/2021.011)

>Today marks the official release of Vanilla 2021.011.

**What is new ?**

> Vanilla requires at least PHP 7.2. Future versions of Vanilla will require PHP 7.4+.

MySQL 5.7+ is required.

Full-text indexes have been disabled by default. You can enable them by adding a Database.FullTextIndexing key to your config and setting it to true. Failure to do this before upgrading will result in your full-text database indexes being lost.

>There's a long change log of fixes and features, spread across the RCs and recent "gold" releases.

**v2021.009** is termed as the gold release, I suppose

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
**Vanilla 2021.012 released**. This is a major upgrade from v3.3

[Download from GitHub](https://github.com/vanilla/vanilla/releases/tag/2021.012)

> Vanilla requires at least PHP 7.2. Future versions of Vanilla will require PHP 7.4+.

MySQL 5.7+ is required.

Full-text indexes have been disabled by default. You can enable them by adding a Database.FullTextIndexing key to your config and setting it to true. Failure to do this before upgrading will result in your full-text database indexes being lost.

ZandraJoi

ZandraJoi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Interesting! I've been hearing about Vanilla Forums for awhile now. Who has it & what do you think compared to other platforms out there?

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
> @ZandraJoi Who has it & what do you think compared to other platforms out there?

It is a nice, free, open source software. Sadly, it got bought by a company that offers paid discussion software. So it will be wise to wait a bit before joining the party/

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.