Trophies and Awards

Webmaster Forums, Forum Promotion, SEO, Domain Names, Hosting & More!

AdminBrave is a community with useful content and resources. Connect with fellow webmasters. Grow your network. Stay informed. Learn and share with us!

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
There are forum software which will give you trophies and award. First smiley, first like, first anniversary etc.

Do you think that is a good method to motivate a user ? Do you apply that technique ?

admin

admin

Community Leader
Reaction score
> @Abhi Do you think that is a good method to motivate a user ?

Certainly

> @Abhi Do you apply that technique ?

Some software has built-in. Otherwise there is a plugin somewhere for you

> @Abhi First smiley, first like, first anniversary etc.

It all started with `happy birthday` emails during vB3 era.

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
> @admin It all started with happy birthday emails during vB3 era.

Does vB forums still do that ? I think no. Because I am a member of at least 3 of them and I never got a happy birthday email recently.

admin

admin

Community Leader
Reaction score
> @Abhi I never got a happy birthday email recently.

Neither do I. Or they landing in the spam mail box.

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Nice that they are not sending emails for trophies and awards. That would be super annoying.

Another idea I have is to add graphics to the award notifications. Something like icons in it for starters. Then we can move to more extensive graphics / badges.

P

phenomlab

Valued Member
Reaction score
Providing your birth date to a forum is formed upon these days. Particularly for EU residents where this constitutes personally identifiable information and is in scope for GDPR.

admin

admin

Community Leader
Reaction score
> @phenomlab Particularly for EU residents where this constitutes personally identifiable information and is in scope for GDPR.

Certainly not good. But even logging of IP address it. If you remove that from their post, some legal issue arise at some point, who will you point to ?

P

phenomlab

Valued Member
Reaction score
@admin that depends on the definition of removing. Simply redacting that information is considered non compliance. Typically, to remain compliant, you would mask the last 2 octets of the address. So, for example, 192.168.235.78 becomes 192.168.0.0 when stored.

admin

admin

Community Leader
Reaction score
I hate them as a webmaster. But I hope their real intention is to protect their citizens.

I always wonder. EU and Europe, so advanced. Why they need to rely so much on the US products. Google, FB, Twitter. Can't they simply make one of their own. No need for the witch hunt then.

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
To give awards and trophies you need to store a lot of identifiable information. A profile in short.

P

phenomlab

Valued Member
Reaction score
@Abhi not necessarily. My site for example only stores your username and email.

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
@phenomlab And intimates / congratualtes on achievements ?

P

phenomlab

Valued Member
Reaction score
@Abhi Not in that sense, no - but you can see your reputation by looking at your user profile.

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Those small nudges are really productive. Much more than likes. You know how like hunters are.

admin

admin

Community Leader
Reaction score
@Abhi Yes, a lot of info to nudge them in time. But that can be tied to the user ID and skip adding personal info to it. I don't know how plugins are doing it now.

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
> @admin I don't know how plugins are doing it now.

I don't think any addon developer will think about GDPR or something similar to that. But if it is the core and the software burdens itself with GDPR like protection, possible.

admin

admin

Community Leader
Reaction score
They will simply try to deliver the product, safe and sound. Why would they be concerned about the forum owner's burden. Most of them won't. Not unless it starts affecting their business.

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
I don't know whether any addon maker complies with the California Privacy law as well. Most of the websites I visit collect at least email and offer no option to see or delete personal info.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.