Proboards sold

Webmaster Forums, Forum Promotion, SEO, Domain Names, Hosting & More!

AdminBrave is a community with useful content and resources. Connect with fellow webmasters. Grow your network. Stay informed. Learn and share with us!

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
I hear that Proboards got acquired by some other company? Are they going to keep it alive? Big plans?

PGen98

PGen98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yeah, they're owned by Vertical Scope now, which...not sure why they did that since their entire network runs on horribly modified XenForo, but I guess owning their own software makes sense economically. Just hope it doesn't negatively impact ProBoards, because we've seen this before (EZBoards, InvisionFree, ZetaBoards, etc.)

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
> @PGen98 entire network runs on horribly modified XenForo

Xenforo??

I had no idea. I thought it was something custom. Thanks for the info.

Yes, it is normally not good for free boards when the ownership change.

ZandraJoi

ZandraJoi

Valued Member
Reaction score
I use Proboards & only heard of this recently myself. I rarely go to Support. If I have issues, I ask other members for some guidance. I hope they will do good. They've been saying they'll go to V6 for several years now. Problem is, they are leaving behind those of us who still use the Desktop. Some already have moved out of Proboards for that reason. @PGen98 I too didn't know it was a "horribly modified Xenforo". Did someone tell you that or did you just see it for yourself? I'm only asking because I would never have guessed what they are doing lol

PGen98

PGen98

Valued Member
Reaction score
@Abhi -- Yeah, sadly it's a horrible custom XenForo setup that they've made and it just makes their sites feel so impersonal, so uncared for, and just as if they're "here's a name that used to mean something, come and become member #1275489645" so we can boost our revenues! Shame.

@ZandraJoi -- Yeah, their network sites all use the same custom developed version of XenForo (if you check the footer it still has the XenForo copyright in there), ie:https://www.toyotanation.com/ but my guess is the acquisition of ProBoards was to develop it to suit their needs (probably not the needs of their userbase, sadly) and transfer their XenForo sites over to this new ProBoards version that they're likely developing.

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Very insightful. Thanks.

> @PGen98 by Vertical Scope

I have heard this name somewhere.

PGen98

PGen98

Valued Member
Reaction score
@Abhi Of course :)

Vertical Scope have been buying up forums in all different categories for a number of years now, so it's highly likely you'll have seen them acquiring larger forums and turning them into...well, the horrible shell they inevitably became.

admin

admin

Community Leader
Reaction score
I do not know whether this is a good news or a bad one for Proboards users. Only time will tell.

There is always a risk involved when relying on hosted platforms. Especially when they do not allow us to port out.

S

StormyFire

Valued Member
Reaction score
Considering proboards is one of the oldest forum hosting services still running (if not the oldest), it would be a shame to see it go downhill like Zetaboards and InvisionFree did.

PGen98

PGen98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Completely agreed, it would be a real shame if they went downhill, but unless Patrick retains creative control over his product, then that's the likely outcome.

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
It is hard to sustain with free services for long. Revenue generation is important.

PGen98

PGen98

Valued Member
Reaction score
@Noble -- Sadly, I agree, shame, because while it was his to control he did a good job of keeping it running for all of this time.

@Abhi -- So very true, can't survive without catering to whatever generates revenues.

admin

admin

Community Leader
Reaction score
If they paid for the deal, they needs to find it back. That is a natural process. But if Proboards get better in that process, that is a win win.

PGen98

PGen98

Valued Member
Reaction score

True, if it gets better, it's a great deal for all, but that's typically not the case in acquisitions like this, so fingers crossed for Proboards users!

admin

admin

Community Leader
Reaction score
@ZandraJoi did you as an user got any notification about it?

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Normally they send emails to all admins. Perhaps something like that happened here too.

admin

admin

Community Leader
Reaction score
That is the normal procedure. We will have to hear from one of the admins to be sure.

PGen98

PGen98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd give them a good few months before they start implementing the usual "well, ok, but I think that's a little fishy" type of changes, and then moving onto the full blown "this is our new product" mode where things are 100% different from what Proboards was.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.