Outsourcing hosting support

Webmaster Forums, Forum Promotion, SEO, Domain Names, Hosting & More!

AdminBrave is a community with useful content and resources. Connect with fellow webmasters. Grow your network. Stay informed. Learn and share with us!

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
AB$
I see a lot of companies are outsourcing their support activities to 3rd parties. Obviously it is the monetary benefit that makes them do that. Work from home is enough for most of such tasks.

As an end user, do you support such actions ? Will you buy hosting from such a provider ?

admin

admin

Community Leader
Reaction score
AB$
I don't think that is bad. There are very skilled freelancers and 3rd party Linux administration companies who do a great job. Only thing about it is to choose wisely and not to go around talking about it.

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
AB$
> @admin not to go around talking about it.

If they do, I might skip them. Not just me, a lot people see that as incompetence. Mainly in the privacy area. How can we trust some 3rd party over the logins, log files and all the content we have. They get access to databases, admin passwords etc.

admin

admin

Community Leader
Reaction score
AB$
Do you know a lot of banks outsource their call centres. That is your bank account info is somewhere in Philippines or Srilanka. Everyone do that these days. It is as simple as running manufacturing in China. The only reason is it is profitable. Probably 3 times less cost than if you go for a native call centre.

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
AB$
It doesn't justify anything. Making money is fine. But there are good and bad ways to do it.

I am not against outsourcing. But how can you deal with someone not accountable for your admin password and root folder access ? Can these hosting companies do anything if they play with that info ?

P

phenomlab

Valued Member
Reaction score
AB$
@Abhi it's not possible to outsource every function. Mostly back office, but never give the keys to your kingdom to an external third party.

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
AB$
On a certain job offer / job request websites, they openly talk about _admins for hire_ and need _system administrator_.

There is no verification or any other criteria. Only thing is that the company / freelancer is trustable ( in terms of availability, skill set and financial transactions etc ) or not. If they suit company needs, here goes the contract.

Funny how things work in the freelancer / online world. I was completely puzzled by the fact that the company have no idea who is going to handle their server and customer data.

Last edited:
admin

admin

Community Leader
Reaction score
AB$
That is why I took it lightly. If you roam around enough on internet, you will know this.

A lot of sensitive information are handle by amateurs. That too in a very insecure environment. Not 100 % , but a lot of them have very poor security protocols.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.