Online privacy

Webmaster Forums, Forum Promotion, SEO, Domain Names, Hosting & More!

AdminBrave is a community with useful content and resources. Connect with fellow webmasters. Grow your network. Stay informed. Learn and share with us!

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
AB$
How concerned are you when you are online ? What precautions do you take to keep your privacy ?

After reading a news which says that Avast sold our browsing data, I don't know what to do. We are being spied on, offline and online.

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
AB$
Visited your website already. Not sure I can understand any of the contents. It is a real good work from you as a webmaster and a security expert. 👍

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
AB$
I will try :)

admin

admin

Community Leader
Reaction score
AB$
There is no such thing as online privacy. There is just common sense. Some safe practices that will help you from small to medium level fraud. Bigger ones will always get you. One way or another.

But yes, who knew that WoT plugin itself will act like a malware ?

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
AB$
But it is still available. Why it was not taken down ? If I remember correctly, they were accused of running JS without permission on the browser. Their own brand of JS, something shady. That is what I read.

P

phenomlab

Valued Member
Reaction score
AB$
> @admin There is no such thing as online privacy. There is just common sense. Some safe practices that will help you from small to medium level fraud. Bigger ones will always get you. One way or another.
>
> But yes, who knew that WoT plugin itself will act like a malware ?

If you are looking for *true* privacy, then the only way to acquire that would be to live completely off the grid. No address, no cell phone, no email.... not really plausible in today's world unless you are living in a log cabin with no electricity in a remote location (think Ted Kaczynski) and refuse to adhere to modern living in terms of technology.

There are a number of things you can to improve your privacy. Running JS on the browser can easily be stopped by either using a browser extension, or Brave which has this on by default.

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
AB$
Flarum doesn't work without JS. Most websites do not.

It is either take it or leave it. Submit to data sharing or as you said, go off the grid. What would a normal person choose ? Or, can choose.

admin

admin

Community Leader
Reaction score
AB$
> @phenomlab There are a number of things you can to improve your privacy. Running JS on the browser can easily be stopped by either using a browser extension, or Brave which has this on by default.

We cannot be paranoid as well. Need to find a balance between fearful and smart. In the end, how can I stop Google showing suggestions on YouTube based on the folder contents of my PC ?

People say Google keeps the mic open or keep on hearing you through the mic. I don't think that is a lie. I have got suggestion based on things I have never typed.

admin

admin

Community Leader
Reaction score
AB$
> @phenomlab Brave which has this on by default.

How is this Brave browser ? I got mixed reviews. Still not clear how they generate revenue.

P

phenomlab

Valued Member
Reaction score
AB$
> @admin How is this Brave browser ? I got mixed reviews. Still not clear how they generate revenue.

I like it personally - it's essentially a fork of Chromium, and they generate revenue via their own rewards scheme

admin

admin

Community Leader
Reaction score
AB$
Thanks.

> @phenomlab they generate revenue via their own rewards scheme

Which is ? Just like in apps ?

Last edited:
Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
AB$
I still didn't understand

> your browser tallies the attention you spend on the sites you visit and divides up a monthly BAT contribution among sites based on your attention.

English, please..

P

phenomlab

Valued Member
Reaction score
AB$
@Abhi it's essentially a way for you to donate to the sites that you find useful using a digital currency.

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
AB$
You are the first person to explain it to me properly. Many thanks.

They have their own form of digital currency ?

P

phenomlab

Valued Member
Reaction score
AB$
Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
AB$
I read a lot on it. It was there all over the internet at that time. A lot of hype. Some people were even considering it as a companion to Tor browser. All praise and hype. But none of articles were as clear as you about how their revenue generation system works.

P

phenomlab

Valued Member
Reaction score
AB$
@Abhi i wouldn't consider it as a companion to TOR - it's essentially using the TOR browser when you select "Private Window with TOR".

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.