Newsletter in forums

Webmaster Forums, Forum Promotion, SEO, Domain Names, Hosting & More!

AdminBrave is a community with useful content and resources. Connect with fellow webmasters. Grow your network. Stay informed. Learn and share with us!

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
I see that is the latest trend in forums. I get newsletters from a few forums which I have registered but not been there in years. They deliver right into my inbox and I simply move on.

But personally, it is a very useful " hello, come back " feature for forums. Always wanted an email subscription method just like WordPress. Does your forum software support such a feature ?

P

phenomlab

Valued Member
Reaction score
@Abhi the real issue here is that if you are a European citizen, it's not permitted to be sent emails like this unless you have provided permission for that origin to do so. Sending them without permission is known as implied consent and is unlawful under GDPR.

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
> @phenomlab it's not permitted to be sent emails like this unless you have provided permission for that origin to do so.

If you see certain forum software, they have an option for you to tick " subscribe to newsletters " while registering. Just like what traditionally has been " Receive email from administrators ". They even give you an option to choose it from

[*]- weekly
[*]- monthly
[*]- annually

I hope that such a consent is fine under GDPR.

Last edited:
P

phenomlab

Valued Member
Reaction score
@Abhi it is, yes, as that's not implied consent - it's actual consent. Most of these newsletters have a double opt in setting where you sign up for the newsletter, then also have to confirm your email address. Very commonplace these days.

admin

admin

Community Leader
Reaction score
Email confirmation would do that. Decent websites always provide an unsubscribe button if you want to opt out at any time. Depends on the forum software as well.

P

phenomlab

Valued Member
Reaction score
> @admin Decent websites always provide an unsubscribe button if you want to opt out at any time. Depends on the forum software as well.

Yes - with emphasis on "decent". Trust me, I come across those that fall well under an acceptable standard every day !

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.