More than one owner for a domain

Webmaster Forums, Forum Promotion, SEO, Domain Names, Hosting & More!

AdminBrave is a community with useful content and resources. Connect with fellow webmasters. Grow your network. Stay informed. Learn and share with us!

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
AB$
When there is more than one owner to a website, won't it be necessary to have multiple people with ownership for the domain ? I am not sure how many domain registrars support it.

Have you ever tried that ? Do you think such a setup works legally and has practical existence ?

admin

admin

Community Leader
AB$
It is possible and is legal. Some people sign contracts over it too. A lot of domain registrars allow you to have more than one owner listed.

But it is too much trouble to handle. All you have to do is register a company or whatever you have in your country. And buy the domain name in the name of that particular company. You can then legally set owners for those company and speak out about the ownership terms for its digital assets.

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
AB$
> @admin buy the domain name in the name of that particular company

Sounds fine to me. If we are keen to go into legal documentation regarding the website. Won't it make it hard to sell it off ?

admin

admin

Community Leader
AB$
If you are serious about your project, about its fame, monetary returns and influence, it is a safe bet to register it a company. Most countries allow you to register as startups with very minimal paper work and complications.

P

phenomlab

Valued Member
AB$
The problem with all of this is who owns the intellectual property. The domain name is simple to register, but brand names etc are much harder to secure - you also need to decide who owns the copyright.

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
AB$
Can we decide about copyright in user-generated content ? A lot of webmasters behave as if whatever on their forum is their property. I have my reservations about that. Mainly because I have been a contributing member, not an admin.

P

phenomlab

Valued Member
AB$
@Abhi this really depends on the website and the author in terms of attribution. In some cases, the author "sells" the article to the website for a one time fee. In others, the original author retains attribution and rights of usage, but licenses that particular blog to use it as a way of putting their work out there for others to discover.

For example, a lesser known author can write a story for a well known blog as a means of increasing their scope and reach.

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
AB$
Yes. That is correct when the webmaster has some honour. I know a few who act as if they own the content. They will throw you out but will still retain your content. People who are not interested in a fight will simply move on. I am not talking about 1 or 2 webmasters. There is a good number of them who will use you and take all the credit ( and money ).

Empre

Empre

Valued Member
AB$
There are many sites with more than one owner however one of them owns the domain. But in real-deal business, the domain is put down under that business name and copyright under that name. and the CEOs are the two owners. They both pay for it or if not the business has it's own set amount of money/bank

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.