member privacy

Webmaster Forums, Forum Promotion, SEO, Domain Names, Hosting & More!

AdminBrave is a community with useful content and resources. Connect with fellow webmasters. Grow your network. Stay informed. Learn and share with us!

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Let GDPR and its clones have it their way. But as a responsible webmaster, what all steps do you take to ensure the member privacy ? How do you make sure that you do not yell too much about your members ?

admin

admin

Community Leader
Reaction score
There forums which will ask you to fill a large no. of columns in your profile. Most of them are not mandatory, but it can be compromised, misused. I just want something to tie users to. Only because those who post are liable for what they say.

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thanks admin. I know you don't ask for any info unless it is necessary ?

It is a risk keeping personal info no matter you intend to abuse it or not. A data breach is enough for headache.

P

phenomlab

Valued Member
Reaction score
Be very careful with GDPR. It may not seem important, but when you are supposed to be custodians of information that belongs to EU citizens, and you fall short of the compliance regulations, the fines are significant. In the general case, the fine for non compliance, a breach, or similar is €20m or 4 times the turnover of your company - whichever is greater.

Even as the owner of a forum, you need the relevant privacy notices in place, plus a cookies policy. I'm an EU resident by the way, and a security / privacy expert 🤔

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
That is what they say about GDPR. I am not even sure how many forum software allows you to download your stored info. Everyone says they are GDPR compliant, but I visit a lot of Xenforo forums, there is cookie policy and all, but no option to download stored info about me. Nor does it have an option to request stored info.

Last edited:
admin

admin

Community Leader
Reaction score
That has been always the CMS thing. To download personal data and then make a request to delete it.

These days Google often remind me to check the data they have stored about me. They also tells me that I can make them forget it if I want to.

P

phenomlab

Valued Member
Reaction score
> @Abhi I am not even sure how many forum software allows you to download your stored info

Flarum doesn't currently, which is why WordPress on my site handles the login session 😁

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
I see. Too smart :)

Given all this, it is getting harder to run a website as an individual. Only a corporate can afford to do those these days.

P

phenomlab

Valued Member
Reaction score
@Abhi not necessarily. This really depends on your setup and budget.

admin

admin

Community Leader
Reaction score
> @phenomlab This really depends on your setup and budget.

That is it. Budget. It is hard at times @phenomlab . I am personally willing to take a loan and invest as much as I can on a forum. That is not an issue at all. But what about the returns. Considering how much you need to spend to survive and what you get back, there is a big gap.

You will have to go on loss for at least year or two before there is any chance of actually making some solid revenue. Not to mention the time and effort it ask from you.

P

phenomlab

Valued Member
Reaction score
@admin that's true. My forum runs at a loss and it always will because its designed to be free. This is my way of giving something back, and I'm lucky enough to be able to do so from the financial perspective.

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
> @admin Considering how much you need to spend to survive

Let us see

[*]1. AMP
[*]2. SSL
[*]3. Lighthouse Score
[*]4. Mobile ready
[*]5. Mobile-first indexing
[*]6. PWA
[*]7. Sitemap
[*]8. Domain
[*]9. Hosting
[*]10. WhoIs

Almost all of them are paid or needs renewal. Some of them needs hiring an expert. How much can I budget it now ? A 100 USD ?

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.