Let's Encrypt

Webmaster Forums, Forum Promotion, SEO, Domain Names, Hosting & More!

AdminBrave is a community with useful content and resources. Connect with fellow webmasters. Grow your network. Stay informed. Learn and share with us!

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
_Let's Encrypt_ is an SSL provider. That means, they can make your HTTP website into a HTTPS website. This will have an impact on your Google ranking as well.

Let's Encrypt is free and web panels like _cPanel_ allow you to add Let's Encrypt SSL to your domain in a few clicks. One of the main reason why we use SSL is to prevent _man in the middle_ attack. Consider your website has a login method to get into the account. Your end is safe and the server is safe. But someone in the middle might hack into the stream between your PC and server and get your password. This is why SSL is very important, Google values it or not.

If you haven't added HTTPS to your website, it is better you do that now.

admin

admin

Community Leader
Reaction score
Let's Encrypt is one of the good things that has happened to the internet. A lot of big names promote and sponsor them. But when you are forced to use SSL there are many technological and monetary difficulties. That is not how we should build a secure web.

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
But some hosts sell their own SSL certificates. You actually have to _buy_ them when Let's Encrypt gives them for free.

admin

admin

Community Leader
Reaction score
It is all about making indirect revenue. They sell hosting , domain at a discounted rate and then fill in the gap with addons like these.

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
100 crore certificates issued. Now that is what we call an achievement

> We are coming up on 1 *BILLION* certificates issued by the Let's Encrypt certificate authority. Each certificate, free to get, and carrying out the mission of a more privacy-respecting Web. We are 1 billion, and we have just begun. Join us!

admin

admin

Community Leader
Reaction score
How are they planning to celebrate ? Some party will definitely be there.

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
5 years of Let's Encrypt

> Five years, over a billion certs issued, and *new* database servers powering Let's Encrypt

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
No wonder they are so proud of themselves

> Looking back on these five years, there is a LOT we are proud of. A nonprofit certificate authority with 90-day cert lifetimes, totally reliant on donations... five years later, helping to secure over 230M domains.

admin

admin

Community Leader
Reaction score
Let's Encrypt is doing a fund $ 35,000 fund raiser. If anyone feel like supporting it, it will be good.

J

Jason

Valued Member
Reaction score
My current domain registrar provides PositiveSSL so i no longer user Let's Encrypt but we need to support them so many can benefit from their service.

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
> @Jason provides PositiveSSL

It is a paid service. Is it not ?

J

Jason

Valued Member
Reaction score
@Abhi Yes it is a paid service but as i purchased a .com domain it came along with the purchase for free for first year.

G

Games

Valued Member
Reaction score
I use Let's Encrypt in [**my website**](https://kodibeginner.com) and it is great to have HTTPS instead of HTTP.

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
@Games

Nice to know. Were you able to take benefit from it ? Did you notice any considerable change after the switch ?

J

Jason

Valued Member
Reaction score
Will there be a difference Abhi? I have used Lets Encrypt and Paid SSL i didn't see the change. But in terms of setting it up it is slightly different i think.

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
> @Jason Lets Encrypt

The raw setup is a job for someone with experience. Both Positive SSL and Let's Encrypt. But these days, it is a one click setup. Admin told me that even Webmin allows you to add SSL in a few clicks.

I don't think there will be a difference if the connection is secure, not dependent on which provider you use.

G

Games

Valued Member
Reaction score
@Abhi Yes I did! Google SE punish websites that still use HTTP.

Also I created PWA for my website and doing so require that your website will be HTTPS.

Nova

Nova

Valued Member
Reaction score
Lets encrypto SSL has been free from the start and made it possible to use on the domain. I think in past we had to pay a lot for the SSL and the price has been reduced due to basic SSL services being offered for free.

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Celebrating 2 billion certificates

> to remind you that our 2 billionth cert is just the tip of the iceberg - we're still working tirelessly every day to have a completely encrypted Web.

PGen98

PGen98

Valued Member
Reaction score
@Abhi Encryption is a very important thing, so it's great they keep offering these services, and 2 billion is quite impressive!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.