Is there an electronic product you want these days?

Webmaster Forums, Forum Promotion, SEO, Domain Names, Hosting & More!

AdminBrave is a community with useful content and resources. Connect with fellow webmasters. Grow your network. Stay informed. Learn and share with us!

Thread Owner: ZandraJoi
ZandraJoi

ZandraJoi

Valued Member
Reaction score
AB$
Thank You Badge
What is it? How will it make your life better? I have my Desktop computer as well as Printer so that’s enough for me lol But I do know that some people like the newest tech & like learning it. I prefer to keep the same ol’ & only upgrade when it’s absolutely necessary.

S

Sharon

Valued Member
Reaction score
AB$
I'd like to say that I'm the type of person that utilizes her equipment until they completely become obsolete however, I appreciate learning about the latest and greatest and by first hand experience. I would upgrade to the newest version of technology if money was not a factor but of course it is.

PGen98

PGen98

Valued Member
Reaction score
AB$
Beer Mug
I'm saving up to buy a NAS device so I can transfer my Plex server and cloud photo storage servers from my desktop to a shared NAS device. That will help me stream movies for all of my family night or day, and it stops them from filling up their phones with photos, as well.

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
AB$
Nice to meet another Plex user. I am considering using OpenMediaVault for a NAS like setup.

PGen98

PGen98

Valued Member
Reaction score
AB$
Beer Mug
@Abhi Can't go wrong with OpenMediaVault, for sure! That's what I was hoping to power my NAS with, as well :)

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
AB$
> @PGen98 That's what I was hoping to power my NAS with, as well

Will you be buying the required hardware ?

PGen98

PGen98

Valued Member
Reaction score
AB$
Beer Mug
@Abhi Yeah, either going to go QNAP enclosure or custom build a mini-ATX machine to do the job. Doesn't need to be anything overly powerful, which is the beauty of a NAS device :)

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
AB$
> @PGen98 QNAP enclosure or custom build a mini-ATX machine

A bit more about these please

PGen98

PGen98

Valued Member
Reaction score
AB$
Beer Mug
@Abhi QNAP and Synology make purpose-built NAS enclosures, so you can buy those and not have to worry about anything other than buying drives for them. They even have their own OS pre-installed with everything you need to get up and running in moments. Mico-ATX (apologies, I'm confusing Micro-ATX and mini-ITX) is a motherboard and case format for custom building PCs (Full ATX, micro-ATX & mini-ITX), they're smaller in size, but just as useful for building a NAS device, you can make them powerful and yet low-powered, ideal for a NAS :)

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
AB$
I have not come across QNAP yet. A lot of references about Synology though.

PGen98

PGen98

Valued Member
Reaction score
AB$
Beer Mug
@Abhi Yeah, Synology are the "gold standard" for NAS enclosures, but QNAP I find are just as good and a little bit cheaper, so for the sake of my wallet I'd go QNAP over Synology :D

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.