Image copyright

Webmaster Forums, Forum Promotion, SEO, Domain Names, Hosting & More!

AdminBrave is a community with useful content and resources. Connect with fellow webmasters. Grow your network. Stay informed. Learn and share with us!

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
AB$
Whether it is a blog, forum or CMS you will have to deal with a lot of images. Especially when you are reporting the news. How do you manage the copyright issues associated with those images ?

admin

admin

Community Leader
Reaction score
AB$
Rule no. 1, don't host them. Don't include in your videos. Allow take down requests.

Also, it is foolish to use someone else's content on your creation without permission. You will have a sword hanging above your head. Make your own.

P

phenomlab

Valued Member
Reaction score
AB$
Yep. I use stockphotosecrets.com for my stock images. I pay an annual fee for usage and rights management.

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
AB$
> @admin content on your creation without permission.

Even if it is promotional content ?

> @admin Don't include in your videos.

I don't do much videos

admin

admin

Community Leader
Reaction score
AB$
> @Abhi Even if it is promotional content ?

Legally, you cannot use other people's content without written consent. It is true that they do not search and kill every stolen image. But why take the risk.

J

Jason

Valued Member
Reaction score
AB$
Hmm leaving a source or reference won't help? I thought this way it won't cause an issue. Better to write blog posts without any images involved.

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
AB$
> @Jason Hmm leaving a source or reference won't help?

That is a blogger's myth. Imagine you wrote a very good guide. I posted the whole thing on my website with a " Source " link. It is not at all legal, it is manners.

> @Jason Better to write blog posts without any images involved.

There some interesting tips to make _featured_ images without falling into legal trouble. Check some top blogs. Their way of adding images is smart.

P

phenomlab

Valued Member
Reaction score
AB$
> @Abhi That is a blogger's myth. Imagine you wrote a very good guide. I posted the whole thing on my website with a " Source " link. It is not at all legal, it is manners.

Correct. There's a strong ethical theme here. Copying the entire text is nothing short of plagiarism. Citations are fine, provided you note the author and origin of the information. On phenomlab.com, I take the first line of the story to get things started, then link to the rest of the article.

That's fair. The original author gets both credit for their work, and a backlink in the process.

J

Jason

Valued Member
Reaction score
AB$
@phenomlab Actually i meant that, pasting few lines of the content and leaving a read more link to the original post.

I see newspapers use images and put a small size text saying "Courtesy: xyz" How this works?

P

phenomlab

Valued Member
Reaction score
AB$
@Jason that's just attribution, bit but a kick to the origin in terms of the article. Such usage would require consent from the author.

J

Jason

Valued Member
Reaction score
AB$
@phenomlab Oh i understand it now. I see few no copyright image websites were we can use images from. Is it completely fine or the same also required proper consent?

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
AB$
These are legal problems. In 90 % of the cases, nobody cares. But the remaining 10% can play spoil sport.

Most newspapers have political backing. It is hard to hit them. Even those troll images from movies. Those are copyright stuff. You can take the author to the court if he uses an image from a movie without permission. But as you know, nobody cares until you cross the line.

admin

admin

Community Leader
Reaction score
AB$
Try to use as much pure content as you can. There are simple tricks to create relevant images. And there are royalty free sources for almost every content we use on a website. That includes video and audio, 3D, vector, graphics etc

As for content, there is a very slight line between what is illegal and what is allowed. Try to present it in your own words wherever possible.

It is hard, I know. But better safe than sorry.

P

phenomlab

Valued Member
Reaction score
AB$
> @admin As for content, there is a very slight line between what is illegal and what is allowed. Try to present it in your own words wherever possible.

What's bizarre here is that you can copy a section of text, change one word, and then it's out of scope for plagiarism because its no longer identical, but do clear you copied it from elsewhere. I much prefer to cite someone else's work, then provide attribution to the author and the source of origin.

It certainly helps garner discussion too if you use citation, then provide your own insights and encourage discussion off the back of that. Just remember the attribution.

admin

admin

Community Leader
Reaction score
AB$
> @phenomlab What's bizarre here is that you can copy a section of text, change one word, and then it's out of scope for plagiarism because its no longer identical

Is it ? I thought that would still be illegal.

> @phenomlab Just remember the attribution.

Depends a lot on the content license. We cannot force attribution as a reward, my humble opinion.

P

phenomlab

Valued Member
Reaction score
AB$
> @admin I thought that would still be illegal.

No. It's not. Because its no longer word for word.

V

vulcano

Valued Member
Reaction score
AB$
I agree with @admin , just play it safe and clean, don't use copyrighted stuff, stuck to the free as in free speech media (a lot of video and image places where to get CC content) and always give the correct attribution.

It's not just a legal thing, IMO, is also the ethical thing to do

admin

admin

Community Leader
Reaction score
AB$
> @vulcano It's not just a legal thing, IMO, is also the ethical thing to do

I admire that :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.