IcoMoon

Webmaster Forums, Forum Promotion, SEO, Domain Names, Hosting & More!

AdminBrave is a community with useful content and resources. Connect with fellow webmasters. Grow your network. Stay informed. Learn and share with us!

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
AB$
https://icomoon.io/app-features.html

IcoMoon allows you to import your choice of SVGs and then generate an icon font out of it. They say it is free and works offline. ie, once the IcoMoon font is ON through your browser, the icons to import to it will not be sent to IcoMoon server. They will be used locally

I will keep you posted more on this.

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
AB$
A very good SVG sprite generator

https://svgsprit.es/

I have used it to create `Symbols` for Inkscape.

admin

admin

Community Leader
Reaction score
AB$
I wanted to try icon fonts using Icomoon. Something very light, with only the icon I need.

I am not sure how they deal with the class part. You will have to specify the ID every time.

P

phenomlab

Valued Member
Reaction score
AB$
I tend to steer clear of SVG these days and much other the "`i class`" CSS methods used by Font Awesome for example. Whilst SVG is very flexible, it's hard to beat the sizes for images that are font based versus an actual image. Developers often make the mistake of directly linking the library rather than hosting it locally on the same server, which in some cases causes unwanted latency outside of your control.

Last edited:
Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
AB$
> @phenomlab Developers often make the mistake of directly linking the library rather than hosting it locally on the same server,

I thought this is the fastest method

> @phenomlab it's hard to beat the sizes for images that are font based versus an actual image.

This part, I didn't follow.

P

phenomlab

Valued Member
Reaction score
AB$
> @Abhi I thought this is the fastest method

It can be, but there again, if the site is down, or experiencing a lot of traffic, then by definition, your site will also be slow.

> @Abhi This part, I didn't follow.

Yes, this is a well known fact. It's for the same reason that developers used sprites years ago as downloading one image containing hundreds of sprites was much more efficient than downloading hundreds of individual images. With sprites, you just needed to specify the coordinates on the image from where you wanted to locate that particular sprite - here's an examplehttps://stackoverflow.com/questions/1452961/how-to-find-pixel-position-of-image-from-sprite-image

admin

admin

Community Leader
Reaction score
AB$
["IconMoon","IcoMoon"]

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.