Growing your Forum?

Webmaster Forums, Forum Promotion, SEO, Domain Names, Hosting & More!

AdminBrave is a community with useful content and resources. Connect with fellow webmasters. Grow your network. Stay informed. Learn and share with us!

Thread Owner: MikeJones
MikeJones

MikeJones

Valued Member
Reaction score
A year or two now... I started my own Forum (Also using Flarum!). Been posting lots of good content (In my opinion), but I don't have a whole lot of other participation.

I have been seeing lots of people signing up, but basically none of them comment or post their own content?

What are good techniques for growing an online forum community?

P

phenomlab

Valued Member
Reaction score
@MikeJones what's the URL of your forum ?

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to Admn Tech 🏆

> @MikeJones I have been seeing lots of people signing up, but basically none of them comment or post their own content?

This is actually a good thing. You have the means to contact them now. You can send them a colourful email requesting them back on your forum. Use a service that will not put your email in the spam box of the user email.

I have gone back to many websites when they send me emails like " we miss you here ". I know they are promotional emails. But I joined that forum because I liked it. That is a good enough reason to go back.

Last edited:
admin

admin

Community Leader
Reaction score
Hi :)

I would have joined your forum. Sadly that is not a niche I know enough to contribute.

> @MikeJones I have been seeing lots of people signing up, but basically none of them comment or post their own content?

It would have been nice if there was a weekly /monthly digest that Discourse has. It is a gently reminder for a lot of us to go back. I get emails from my Facebook account ( old one, haven't touched in years ). Sometime, I am too tempted to click on one of those titles.

Alternative methods is to make your visitor / members follow you social media and feed your URLs through it. That way, it is only a click away.

Last edited:
    Thread Owner: MikeJones
MikeJones

MikeJones

Valued Member
Reaction score
> @admin It would have been nice if there was a weekly /monthly digest that Discourse has

I am not sure if there is an easy way to grab everyone's emails from flarum to send out a digest?

> @admin Alternative methods is to make your visitor/members follow you social media and feed your URLs through it. That way, it is only a click away.

I have a Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/SeekAdventure ) and an Instagram page (https://www.instagram.com/anomalous_trichromacy/ ) feel free to follow and share with your friends if you know anyone who loves the outdoors!

admin

admin

Community Leader
Reaction score
> @MikeJones I am not sure if there is an easy way to grab everyone's emails from flarum to send out a digest?

https://discuss.flarum.org/d/20443-mailing-by-kilowhat

> Send individual or mass mailing to Flarum users.

I hope this one will help. Let us know if it works for you.

L

LordSaru

Valued Member
Reaction score
Its not an isolated issue. I think that the visitor and participation rate are going down is most of the forums because the world has moved away from it.

Those forums which has had a old member base will continue. Most of the new one might die away.

V

vulcano

Valued Member
Reaction score
@LordSaru I'm afraid that's the thing... forums are going down, I'm not sure if there is some recover in sight. Only thing that could really turn things upside down atm I reckon is federated forums (like activitypub), for the rest they are doomed to be very nichey things. Discourse is working on that kind of integration.

I host a successful forum, but it's been up for 5 years, I started the community elsewhere like 12 years ago and is basically the only one in its niche, so it has its boosts.

Forums have a very strong snowball effect: once content flows and users are active more content flows and more users are active. At the beginning it can feel just like pushing a rock uphill.

You niche, camping and hiking, is filled with competitors, I'd say you need to put incentives for users and see what's really missing in the world. Organizing activities through the forum, prizes, and such. As i see it now is little more than a blog with a very well done commenting system, but you want discussions!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.