Google will forget about you every 1.5 years

Webmaster Forums, Forum Promotion, SEO, Domain Names, Hosting & More!

AdminBrave is a community with useful content and resources. Connect with fellow webmasters. Grow your network. Stay informed. Learn and share with us!

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
AB$
The news is, Google will delete your location history every 18 months. This is part of their new privacy policy. Not happy, don't worry, you can set your location history be forgotten automatically every 3 months. You can always manually delete it anytime you wish to.

Privacy_Moment_Header_blue.max-1000x1000.png
![auto delete](https://storage.googleapis.com/gweb-uniblog-publish-prod/images/Privacy_Moment_Header_blue.max-1000x1000.png)

admin

admin

Community Leader
Reaction score
AB$
Possibly because California privacy act will come into effect on July 1.

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
AB$
It is nice to know that some privacy measures are put into place. Otherwise, there is free reign for these companies.

J

Jason

Valued Member
Reaction score
AB$
Oh that is great. I already disabled most of the tracking, this will surely help me and many people.

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
AB$
> @Jason I already disabled most of the tracking,

I did that once. Suddenly I started getting weird recommendations in YouTube. Once they remember about us, we get good suggestions. I know it is not a healthy practice, but when our preference is stored, it helps with the results.

J

Jason

Valued Member
Reaction score
AB$
> @Abhi getting weird recommendations in YouTube

Yes this happens to me all the time, but now the only issue bother me is the Paid YouTube ads.

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
AB$
> @Jason only issue bother me is the Paid YouTube ads.

You are a YouTube Premium customer ?

J

Jason

Valued Member
Reaction score
AB$
@Abhi No i am not and i don't want to be one.

P

phenomlab

Valued Member
Reaction score
AB$
> @Abhi only issue bother me is the Paid YouTube ads.

Easy to get around those with a decent ad blocker. I do it all the time, and have done for years.

admin

admin

Community Leader
Reaction score
AB$
I keep clearing my history with them every now and then. It is not productive, but I do it any way.

I often find it hard to locate it. They will never make it easy to find :(

P

phenomlab

Valued Member
Reaction score
AB$
I tend to avoid all of these issues by using a VPN 🤭

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
AB$
I am sure Google can beat a VPN when it comes to find your location.

J

Jason

Valued Member
Reaction score
AB$
@phenomlab Don't want to deviate from the topic but just want to reply to your comment. How do you do that when ads play before or after the video starts in YouTube?

Once you search something in browser and open Google to do some search or view Youtube the related video will surely pop up no matter what settings we give

P

phenomlab

Valued Member
Reaction score
AB$
> @Abhi I am sure Google can beat a VPN when it comes to find your location

Not true at all. The entire point of a VPN is to conceal your location. For example, I can make it look like my location is Austria, when in fact it's the US.b

P

phenomlab

Valued Member
Reaction score
AB$
> @Jason How do you do that when ads play before or after the video starts in YouTube?

Simple. These are detected as ads. Any decent blocker, such as Adblock Plus week prevent these from loading. The brave browser does exactly the same. This doesn't work on mobile phones though.

P

phenomlab

Valued Member
Reaction score
AB$
> @Jason Once you search something in browser and open Google to do some search or view Youtube the related video will surely pop up no matter what settings we give

This is incorrect also. The learning algorithm for Google and YouTube alike is based on JavaScript. If you use a script blocker or a VPN, neither of these will work.

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
AB$
> @phenomlab If you use a script blocker or a VPN,

We might need _and_ here. I have heard that if we allow JS, it makes it easy to find our location

I have once read an article where Facebook admits that it spies beyond the tab in which you are using Facebook. ie, even after closing Facebook.com , Facebook will monitor what you do in your browser. Looks like they got caught and admitted that they spy on your browser. Now I have personal experience that Google spies our file browser too. As I got some song suggestions based on hard copies I have stored on my HDD.

If Facebook can spy on our browser ( which they admitted ), I don't know why Google will be incapable of doing it.

P

phenomlab

Valued Member
Reaction score
AB$
> @Abhi We might need and here. I have heard that if we allow JS, it makes it easy to find our location

No, you don't. If you just a VPN, that actually masks your true location. That's it's purpose.

Additionally, using a secure browser will stop websites spying on you. If you use the chrome browser, this is well known for how much info it collects. That's why chromium exists as a standalone browser, and brave. For true privacy, don't use Windows either.

The only way to guarantee complete anonymity on the web is to use TOR. However, your location will be revealed at some point when you use an exit node to get back into the web as others know it.

Last edited:
Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
AB$
What do you think about Firefox ? Can't Google, Facebook etc collect information from it even when those websites are not in active tabs ?

Is Chromium a privacy lovers' browser ? Better than Firefox when it comes to privacy ?

P

phenomlab

Valued Member
Reaction score
AB$
@Abhi regardless of browser, if you installed a browser helper object or add-on for that particular browser, or works be running reach time you launch even if you don't visit the site. This is why you have to be careful which add-ons you enable.

Firefox in itself is secure, but just like any other application, has inherent weaknesses also.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.