Google Chrome 85 to kill full URL display

Webmaster Forums, Forum Promotion, SEO, Domain Names, Hosting & More!

AdminBrave is a community with useful content and resources. Connect with fellow webmasters. Grow your network. Stay informed. Learn and share with us!

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
AB$
According to various sources, as of Google Chrome 85, the Google owned browser will no longer display full URL in the address bar. Instead, there will be only a domain name. However, you will be able to see the full URL if you hover on the address bar or click on it.

Why this change ? Sources claim that this is good for security as it could affect users ability to legitimacy of a website. ie, if you are using a service from Microsoft, it makes sense to show only _microsoft.com_ than a very long URL. People could possibly argue that it makes easy for users to know which sites they actually are.

It is not only Google Chrome that has chosen this path. Safari too ( as per various sources ) hides the full URL display.

I am not sure how it is going to end up for a webmaster. It could be possible that the entire SEO URLs will be a joke in the near future after this trend takes over. Keep your eyes open, that is the best advice I can give at the moment.

J

Jason

Valued Member
Reaction score
AB$
So first Safari then Chrome takes this action. I think Firefox will also do that very soon.

admin

admin

Community Leader
Reaction score
AB$
> @Jason I think Firefox will also do that very soon.

That last I heard, they do not support this idea. Neither do a lot of Chrome users.

J

Jason

Valued Member
Reaction score
AB$
Good to hear that. I love when the fully URL is displayed.

P

phenomlab

Valued Member
Reaction score
AB$
> @Abhi Sources claim that this is good for security as it could affect users ability to legitimacy of a website. ie, if you are using a service from Microsoft, it makes sense to show only microsoft.com than a very long URL.

This is nothing more than security by obscurity. Anyone can just press F12 to get to the developer console then log all http requests to get the actual link.

J

Jason

Valued Member
Reaction score
AB$
@phenomlab But do you think everybody knows that, i feel few are not technical and will find this difficult.

P

phenomlab

Valued Member
Reaction score
AB$
> @Jason But do you think everybody knows that, i feel few are not technical and will find this difficult.

Even if they don't, a 10 second Google search will tell you.

admin

admin

Community Leader
Reaction score
AB$
> @Jason i feel few are not technical and will find this difficult.

Someone will write a plugin for full URL as soon as the stable version arrives. I don't know whether it will be allowed in the Chrome store.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.