Font Awesome

Webmaster Forums, Forum Promotion, SEO, Domain Names, Hosting & More!

AdminBrave is a community with useful content and resources. Connect with fellow webmasters. Grow your network. Stay informed. Learn and share with us!

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
QTJCUVo.png
QTJCUVo.png

Font Awesome is an icon font pack. ie, images can be used as font characters. When we type " A " that is a drawing which represents " A ". The same way we can use images that represent something else. Once you tie it with Unicode or link it with HTML and CSS, the scope is very vast.

OKIHkOn.png
OKIHkOn.png

Font Awesome comes with 3 sets. Regular, Solid and Light. There is also Duo tone icons as shown above. The free version does not covers all of them. Duo tone icons are Pro version exclusive. Duo tones icons can also be painted in colours using `fa` codes within your HTML document. They are a great example of awesome graphics and very smart code.

Hope you will enjoy using them in your projects. In short, if you want to use images in a very simple and flexible way while designing web pages ( and more ), you can use Font Awesome and its vast library.

Last edited:
admin

admin

Community Leader
Reaction score
Google Material icons is the closest challenge they have ever had. Otherwise Font Awesome is really awesome. Material icons support multi -tone scheme for icons ( rivalling duo tone ? ).

Other than that, there are numerous icon projects. None of them as awesome as Font Awesome.

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
They are slowly moving towards the `premium` tag. At this point, they provide a lot of free resources. But I think in a couple of years or so, you will need a `premium` license to enjoy most of their best content.

admin

admin

Community Leader
Reaction score
That maybe. What is stopping them. It is their work.

Also, premium is the not the only way to make money. FA raised $ 10 million ( I think so ) in the last _Kickstarter_ project. They can do it again and might still raise a huge amount. But that is up to them. There is at least 5 icon packs which you can move to when Font Awesome goes paid. 🌻

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score

We can always use our own SVG. Embedding SVG in a design is much easier these days. How many icons do we use on a web page ? 5 or 6 , that is all. But icon fonts makes it easier to manipulate using CSS. That is something I am not sure whether we have in our own icon pack.

admin

admin

Community Leader
Reaction score
Drawing is not everybody's game. You can always hire some freelancer and get it done for $10 or something.

But the flexibility that FA offers inside HTML is commendable.

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Let us make Font Awesome light. You can now use the npm package called `fontawesome-svg-sprite-generator` to generate SVG sprites out of your own choice of Font Awesome icons. ie, you need not have to use the whole set of the very large collection of Font Awesome icons.

Read more here :

https://www.npmjs.com/package/fontawesome-svg-sprite-generator

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Font Awesome has new pack ready for the current scenario. While the solid set if free and open source, other packs like light and dual tone are premium

covid-solid.png
![health](https://i0.wp.com/blog.fontawesome.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/covid-solid.png?w=720&ssl=1)

Premium

covid-duotone-1.png
![dual tone](https://i2.wp.com/blog.fontawesome.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/covid-duotone-1.png?w=720&ssl=1)

[Source](https://blog.fontawesome.com/covid-19-awareness-icons/)

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Font Awesome 6 is on its way. The good news is

[*]1. There is an option to upload your own icons to Font Awesome 6 and use it alongside Font Awesome icons.
[*]2. There will be a free version of Font Awesome 6
[*]3. You can add your own logo to Font Awesome for $ 3,000

CfrFE36.png
CfrFE36.png

As we see from their Font Awesome 6 page, the new theme is yellow and dark blue.

[Source](https://fontawesome.com/6)

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Wondering how Font Awesome icons will look like ? I made an Admin Tech logo inspired by Font Awesome 6 style

73rs9mL.png
73rs9mL.png

Last edited:
Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
What is new in Font Awesome 6 ?

JNe5z5L.png
JNe5z5L.png

And, Font Awesome promises _human_ customer care.

Last edited:
admin

admin

Community Leader
Reaction score
Blue and Yellow combination is stunning. Colourful as well.

This time, pro users are for a treat.

@phenomlab , are you buying ?

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
3 icons for you in the new yellow-blue duo tone style

ZM5Zm5I.png
ZM5Zm5I.png

xHYLPMH.png
xHYLPMH.png

uDAycaE.png
uDAycaE.png

P

phenomlab

Valued Member
Reaction score
@admin I think I have a years worth of support so hopefully I'll get a free upgrade. Will need to check

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
There is something in their FAQ which vaguely says, you buy or pre-order Font Awesome 6. But makes it sound like you are covered.

> I have an active Standard Pro Subscription. Will I get Version 6?
>
> Active subscribers will always get access to the latest version of Font Awesome Pro available. With that in mind, if your subscription is active while Version 6 is released, you'll get it. Likewise, if your subscription is active when we release new services and features under Version 6, you'll also get those in the future.
>
> You can guarantee that you'll get all that Version 6 has to offer by renewing your plan's annual subscription early at a discounted rate ($20 off). We'll pro-rate an additional year onto your existing subscription and you'll get 6's new icons, styles, and services hot off the fa-conveyor-belt

P

phenomlab

Valued Member
Reaction score
> @Abhi Active subscribers will always get access to the latest version of Font Awesome Pro available. With that in mind, if your subscription is active while Version 6 is released, you'll get it.

Yep - that's me !!

admin

admin

Community Leader
Reaction score
Happy for you :)

@phenomlab

Last edited:
Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Font Awesome teases Font Awesome 6 on their home page. Says **Coming soon..**

nK3Y0UY.png
nK3Y0UY.png

admin

admin

Community Leader
Reaction score
I see less hype compared to what it was there for Font Awesome 5. That was huge hit. But video FA 6 looks more like a professional work.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.