Do you believe Vanilla Forums will survive

Webmaster Forums, Forum Promotion, SEO, Domain Names, Hosting & More!

AdminBrave is a community with useful content and resources. Connect with fellow webmasters. Grow your network. Stay informed. Learn and share with us!

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
AB$
If you are not aware, Vanilla Forums was recently acquired by a company named [Higher Logic](https://admintech.flarum.cloud/d/248-vanilla-forums/10)

Not many details about the deal are available, like the amount of sale, future of Vanilla forums open source, support commitment etc. There has been some clarification in the form the OSS version will continue and Vanilla released v2021.009 and v2021.011, a major release.

Somehow, even after promises and assurances in the community forums, I cannot help but compare Vanilla Forums software and Atom from Github. It could be that I am too much into these industry deals where the big fish eat the small and kill the golden goose in the process. But I am a bit too afraid to invest myself in Vanilla forums. What do you think ?

admin

admin

Community Leader
Reaction score
AB$
I believe it will. I want to believe it will. Vanilla is one of the old elites. It was around for so long and served the OSS community very well. They were around for almost a decade and while they were not the hot favourites, VF was very much usable.

If the parent company, which is Higher Logic, chose not to depend on take it forward, the community might step in. That is normally the case when such things happen.

If Vanilla is to fall, that will be another big free and open source community software vanishing from the picture.

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
AB$
I do not believe I have seen any discussion about a Vanilla fork. It could be because of the fact that Vanilla did release a major version days after acquisition by Higher Logic.

If there is a Vanilla OSS in process, I would surely like to know.

ZandraJoi

ZandraJoi

Valued Member
Reaction score
AB$
Thank You Badge
It may survive but it will most likely be revamped majorly to suit the new owners.

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
AB$
> @ZandraJoi most likely be revamped majorly to suit the new owners.

I think so. They will try their best to avoid a fork. By the looks of it, no one is interested to fork either.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.