Copyright issues

Webmaster Forums, Forum Promotion, SEO, Domain Names, Hosting & More!

AdminBrave is a community with useful content and resources. Connect with fellow webmasters. Grow your network. Stay informed. Learn and share with us!

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
How do you deal with copyright issues in member-generated content ? It can have a big impact if left unchecked.

Some members copy paste articles, infographics etc to gain popularity. But in the end it is going to affect the webmaster on Google and if worse, legally.

admin

admin

Community Leader
Reaction score
That is one reason we do not have image upload facility here. I do wanted to add them for a long time then thought it will be better to leave it as is.

As for text content, Google is very strict on stealing content. So copy paste content is going to harm the forum/website even if we dodge a DMCA.

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Images can be a mess. It is easier to double check text. But when it comes to images, there is always a risk. Especially when it is related to tutorials.

ZandraJoi

ZandraJoi

Valued Member
Reaction score
This was an issue I’ve been concerned about as well. I’ve had people take some of my ideas & use them. Simple posts & threads but I honestly cannot be 100% sure if they got it from me or just too much of a coincidence.

I have a Sticky asking for any of my own Personal Writings not be shared. They are my stories & my stories alone. Taking an article I have & using for their own use is one thing, but not to copy it from mine & post it on another. The only exception is the Question of the Day. Many of us in Proboards use similar sites to get ideas so there will always be repeats.

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
You can always complain to their web hosting provider. An email to them with proper evidence can be fruitful.

admin

admin

Community Leader
Reaction score
> @ZandraJoi Taking an article I have & using for their own use is one thing, but not to copy it from mine & post it on another.

This is sadly a very common practice. Normally, I ignore them. A few people have done the same to me on a few of my very helpful guides. There is nothing much we can do if we rewrite them.

Bluntly copy-pasting is very rude.

S

StormyFire

Valued Member
Reaction score
I haven't dealt with this too much before. I think it would be more of an issue for sites focused on things like tutorials or news articles. I know that some sites got in trouble because people were copying the full text of news articles.

Lammchen

Lammchen

Valued Member
Reaction score
If a site has copyrighted their articles and members post them in full on other forums then that is copyright infringement (at least in the US). On the sites I run I expect only 20% max of the article to be copied/pasted and a link explaining where the article came from is demanded. I don't play around with that type of legal issue.

S

StormyFire

Valued Member
Reaction score
That's a good approach to take. What are the possible consequences if users do post articles in full? Would it result in a takedown notice, or could further action be taken against your site?

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
> @StormyFire or could further action be taken against your site?

There are many ways to force a webmaster to take down the content. DMCA for example.

S

StormyFire

Valued Member
Reaction score
Sure, but can they take further action even if you respond and remove the content in a timely manner?

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
@StormyFire Technically, yes. They can go to court where the law supports it.

But unless they want to make an example, it all ends when the accused / webmaster takes down the content.

A

astyx

Valued Member
Reaction score
Use DMCA ignored host

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.