.Com websites are they more credible?

Webmaster Forums, Forum Promotion, SEO, Domain Names, Hosting & More!

AdminBrave is a community with useful content and resources. Connect with fellow webmasters. Grow your network. Stay informed. Learn and share with us!

Thread Owner: Sharon
S

Sharon

Valued Member
Reaction score
I'm beginning to see more businesses use domain names ending with ones like .io, .co, etc. In your opinion do you think businesses are more credible when they have .com domains?

PGen98

PGen98

Valued Member
Reaction score
It used to be the case that .com was the way to go for credibility, but as we move further and further onward .com has become less and less important. They're still nice to have, still usually worth more, but they're definitely not as exclusive as they used to be, given the availability of so many other TLDs being available.

F

Fait

Valued Member
Reaction score
Most people bookmark websites or use apps now so they’re not as needed as they use to be that’s definitely true!

A

animon09

Valued Member
Reaction score
@Sharon In the light of my personal experience I have realized that .com domains are a little better. This is just my personal opinion. I have been registering and using domains with different tails for the past few years. Perhaps it seemed to me that dot com domains were increasingly search engine friendly. My forum, which is based on the [telecom sector ](https://ftthwifi.com/t/computer-networking-tips ) , also functions as a .com

F

Fait

Valued Member
Reaction score
@animon09 people also remember.com websites it’s like a brain wired default thing.

ZandraJoi

ZandraJoi

Valued Member
Reaction score
I agree with @Fait .com is the one that people know & recognize the most. Are they more credible? In the past they may have been but there are so many extensions now that are pushing .com to the wayside.

F

Fait

Valued Member
Reaction score
@ZandraJoi we even got .co now so you’re definitely right about that too :D

S

StormyFire

Valued Member
Reaction score
I don't really view a site as credible based on the domain extension, to a point. If I see sites that are .info or .xyz, I am a bit more cautious since those domains are very cheap and are often used by scammers.

ZandraJoi

ZandraJoi

Valued Member
Reaction score
> @StormyFire I don't really view a site as credible based on the domain extension, to a point. If I see sites that are .info or .xyz, I am a bit more cautious since those domains are very cheap and are often used by scammers.

I feel that same way. Even though the majority of people do the .com, it's still well-known out there. I personally stay away from other extensions if I can help it.

S

StormyFire

Valued Member
Reaction score
I think that .net and .org are generally fine as well. They are in the same price range as .com domains.

Jasony

Jasony

Valued Member
Reaction score
In the USA, it's difficult for people to remember domain names that are not .com I think. In fact, if a .com isn't available the best bet is to go with .net or .org I think - cause that's all people tend to know about, besides .gov. Well, that's what it seems like. Anyway, if a website that's not a .com is advertised in the US, you might want to put the extension with the domain in the ad.

O.K., though, I like many different extensions and somebody's gotta break tradition you know. People could get used to more, if they see it.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.