Choosing Server firewall

Webmaster Forums, Forum Promotion, SEO, Domain Names, Hosting & More!

AdminBrave is a community with useful content and resources. Connect with fellow webmasters. Grow your network. Stay informed. Learn and share with us!

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Do you use a firewall on your server ? If yes, which one ?

Are you happy with CLI and iptables ?

admin

admin

Community Leader
Reaction score
**iptables** is stronger than you think. There are other options as well. Some of them allow you to manage with a very easy to UI. But knowing Linux admins, they will be more than happy to deal with the CLI.

V

vulcano

Valued Member
Reaction score
I used ZeroShell for a few servers, physically installing it on a machine, having the router to cascade connections to it and manage everything from it. It allows you to use a web UI to deal with most firewall stuff like ip tables, rerouting, setting sub-networks, captive portal and so on.

I can deal with iptables but I see the advantage of a simple and clear UI for it

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Do you keep the server at some place physiclly accesible to you ?

V

vulcano

Valued Member
Reaction score
@Abhi Whenever possible, yes

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
How do you make it work ? I have always thought that hosting it ourselves is a great burden. Not to mention the hardware involved.

But yes, it would be cool to have such a setup. Also, nobody to spy on you because they have your hardware.

V

vulcano

Valued Member
Reaction score
@Abhi what do you mean how do I make it work? You basically put it in a cd, put it in the machine and it works.

There are pros and cons. One setup I used with a VPS was contain everything in lxc containers, which are kinda lightweight virtualization (not really but to give an idea), and are quite easy to use. All traffic was going to a DMZ container that was just dispatching traffic between other containers with iptables, each container a service (one for the forum one for a website and so on). Was a very easy setup to maintain, but does not have all the powers of a fully fledged firewall in case you also want to manage the intranet and access points

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
> @vulcano what do you mean how do I make it work?

I never thought you will have the server on a place other than a data center. Normally very successful webmasters do that. Nice to meet you 😇

> @vulcano does not have all the powers of a fully fledged firewall in case you also want to manage the intranet and access points

Hardware firewall ?

Last edited:
V

vulcano

Valued Member
Reaction score
@Abhi Ahahah, I'm not even a professional sys admin or webmaster, it was more of a sidejob for some time, you don't need all that level of expertiese. Now I just manage a few websites

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Do you have any protection for DDoS ? A lot of people say that 1. Your ISP will go mad if something like that happens 2. It is not easy to have one outside a data center. 🧐

V

vulcano

Valued Member
Reaction score
@Abhi You could use some external protection like cloudflare if you are worried

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yes, a lot of admins like Clouflare against DDoS. Maybe because it is simple and can be setup easily through cPanel.

How about cooling ? Considering it will be a decently powerful machine, there will be a need for some sort of cooling system, right ? Don't mind, I excited to meet someone who actually runs a self-maintained rig. 😇

Last edited:
V

vulcano

Valued Member
Reaction score
@Abhi well it depends what is the machine supposed to do. I had a server that was basically just serving files, no high CPU work only loads of hard disks, and just leave it in a room with the AC on was fine. Usually when you buy a computer that is made to be a server they are equipped with good cooling, oftentimes very noisy fans included =D

If you like the idea just get yourself a raspberry pi or something, for like 30-40 bucks you can have your own server at home! I have 2 I use as personal cloud, syncing files and torrent seeders

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.