Can Discord beat Facebook groups

Webmaster Forums, Forum Promotion, SEO, Domain Names, Hosting & More!

AdminBrave is a community with useful content and resources. Connect with fellow webmasters. Grow your network. Stay informed. Learn and share with us!

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Recently I see a lot of people using Discord to be in touch with each other. Private messages, Servers etc makes the place fun and interesting. I think people love using Discord much more than Facebook or Twitter.

When you find people on a platform, there is a good chance that you can monetise it too. Can Discord act as a home for groups beating its rivals ?

admin

admin

Community Leader
Reaction score
Discord is feature rich, useful, easy to use and almost free unlimited when compared to Facebook groups. I agree that readability is somewhat better even though Facebook uses much more professional colour scheme.

I know a few Discord groups which are very successful. They are active and busy, produce a lot of content and assets. Discord is a nice option as long as we know how to use it.

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
I know a couple of people who are doing this. But I am not so close that they will tell me how exactly it going. But there is potential for sure. if there is community engagement, that is nice. But Discord is primarily a gamer's platform. That could come in the way if you community is not related to gaming.

admin

admin

Community Leader
Reaction score
Give it a try. I have seen people advertise their Discord servers in forum signature on a lot of platforms. If you feel like doing it, there is a good chance there will be some traffic.

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
I tried it recently. The marketing part is much less tedious than forums. Hostility towards Discord invite is much lesser than for forum links.

In short, if you don't like building a Facebook group, Discord sounds like a good idea.

admin

admin

Community Leader
Reaction score
Nice to see that your group is shaping up. Is it an English language group ? Do you know any other groups that are not using English ?

J

Jason

Valued Member
Reaction score
Now everywhere i look people ask for Discord ID and in one forum they have started selling Discord credits or account. Many forums started to link Discord too. I used it once but i didn't feel the need to continue so closed it.

admin

admin

Community Leader
Reaction score
Recently I am seeing that many platforms make use of Discord channel for keeping their members engaged. It is a modern chat room where you get instant response. That is much superior to the delay that comes with other modes of interaction.

If only Discord can come up with something like _WhatsApp for business_ or a similar _we are serious_ makeover, that could be really useful in their growth.

ZandraJoi

ZandraJoi

Valued Member
Reaction score
I know of many forums that utilize Discord but I for one don’t have an account. Less accounts I have to keep track of, the better for me! Since it’s almost a year since this was posted, has Discord made it even better for people to keep in contact?

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
> @ZandraJoi has Discord made it even better for people to keep in contact?

Discord helps us do a lot of things with a single login. Join forums ( servers ), communicate with people, send files and a few other interesting things. So I like it for being an useful service.

S

StormyFire

Valued Member
Reaction score
I don't think the two can be compared well. I think that Facebook groups are more valuable for "real-life" things where you would want other people to know who you actually are. Discord is more for communicating with people that you haven't met in real life or probably won't meet in real life, so you don't have to use your real life identity.

Noble

Noble

Community Leader
Reaction score
I would rather use discord than FB, I did build a server well a couple of times, I find their support rather slow on their site, I was putting a widget on the main page of a site and could get the members and voice-only channels to show on the widget, not sure how others got it to work but I never did find the answer.

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
I think we can monetise FB easily than Discord. But the ability to use voice channels is always a plus.

There is some amount of visibility for Facebook on Google which I do not think Discord has.

S

StormyFire

Valued Member
Reaction score
I think that Discord and Facebook have different target audiences. Discord tends to target younger people who want to talk to people they don't necessarily know in real life or people from other areas. Facebook is more geared towards older people who want to communicate with those they know in real life or are in their general area.

S

StormyFire

Valued Member
Reaction score
I may look into using a Discord widget for my site in the future. It seems like a good way to increase engagement with both the Discord server and the forum.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.