Best free software

Webmaster Forums, Forum Promotion, SEO, Domain Names, Hosting & More!

AdminBrave is a community with useful content and resources. Connect with fellow webmasters. Grow your network. Stay informed. Learn and share with us!

Thread Owner: StormyFire
S

StormyFire

Valued Member
Reaction score
What is your favorite free forum software? Mine is phpBB, but MyBB seems decent as well.

Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
I love MyBB. It is a bit dated, but it is a cool one. At the moment, phpBB is looking good. But their UI is a bit too old for me.

PGen98

PGen98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Flarum or MyBB for me, for sure.

V

Varlot

Valued Member
Reaction score
I'm an old MyBB lover, but in recent years I'll have to say that phpBB has an upper hand despite a terrible looking UI. I think Flarum and Discourse are interesting contenders, and I really look forward to how they are going to look in a year or two, but as of now they are a bit too light in functionality for my taste. I think [Forem](https://forem.dev) looks pretty cool as well, but I'd wait till they've finished the product a bit more up before using it on an actual site.

Last edited:
Abhi

Abhi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Forem looks cool. Nice share @Varlot 👏

ZandraJoi

ZandraJoi

Valued Member
Reaction score
I lean towards Proboards because that is one I used years ago & went back to now. While I'm a member of other free platforms, I have not had my own forum on those. I'm not against it; just used to the way Proboards works.

V

Varlot

Valued Member
Reaction score
@ZandraJoi I've never liked ProBoards. The plus side is that you can quickly and freely set up a forum board, but the bad side is:

[*]- You don't own your forum's content. Proboards does.
[*]- Limited customization possibilities
[*]- You can never switch from Proboards to another forum software, because Proboards won't let you export the database. Again, they own your data, you don't.

ZandraJoi

ZandraJoi

Valued Member
Reaction score
> @Varlot I've never liked ProBoards. The plus side is that you can quickly and freely set up a forum board, but the bad side is:
>
> You don't own your forum's content. Proboards does.

> Limited customization possibilities

> You can never switch from Proboards to another forum software, because Proboards won't let you export the database. Again, they own your data, you don't.

When I started this forum, my main goal was to move to my own IF I got bigger. I did not know though that Proboards doesn't allow you to move it over. That was a downside when I learned of that. I'm just hoping with the new V6 they'll allow for that. Especially if many people complain. The limited customizations is fine with me as I focus more on the writing aspect. As it is, I struggled adding in plug-ins as I do not know much at all about coding.

V

Varlot

Valued Member
Reaction score
@ZandraJoi Unfortunately I doubt Proboards will allow moving away from their services at any time. A big chunk of their revenue is their bigger boards who, given their size, see it as feasible to pay for their premium services. I think most of those bigger boards that actually have a budget would move away if it was possible, but remain in order to not loose their posts and members. If they were allowed to move away it's bye bye to quite a lot of Proboard's income.

ZandraJoi

ZandraJoi

Valued Member
Reaction score
> @Varlot Unfortunately I doubt Proboards will allow moving away from their services at any time. A big chunk of their revenue is their bigger boards who, given their size, see it as feasible to pay for their premium services. I think most of those bigger boards that actually have a budget would move away if it was possible, but remain in order to not loose their posts and members. If they were allowed to move away it's bye bye to quite a lot of Proboard's income.

That is depressing lol Thank you for your reply :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.